In this post I will highlight some of the cons and pros of social media. Like every other thing, there’s a good and a bad.
- Pro: Social networks can spread information faster than any other media, however–Con: the informational content is not always accurate or guaranteed to be true.
- Pro: social media allows you to build new friendships, and keep in touch with existing ones, however–Con: it can also lead to offline relationship problems.and it could increase your stress levels.
- Pro: social media can help students gain easy access to information, helping them do better at school, however–Con: If they become addicted with social media, it could distract them away from their responsibilities, ultimately affecting their grades.
- Back to the privacy issues: Pro: social media allows you to share moments of your life, personal information, and photos/videos. However, –Con: Social networks lack privacy and security, and your information can be shared to corporations or investigated by the government.
- Pro: social media can help people find jobs. However–Con: social media can also affect your chances of attaining a job if they find anything negative (irrational behavior, profanity, out-of-control partying habits) from your past on the web.
- Pro: social media allows you express freely, and even use an alias to remain anonymous. However–Con: this encourages criminals to commit online crimes and also promote their practices, targeting young, gullible people.
- Social networking is good for the economy and opens the door for more jobs. However–Con: people who aren’t as familiarized with the latest social trends (mostly elders or people over 45) have a greater chance of losing their jobs and being replaced by fresher, more up-to-date candidates.
- Social media helps promote acts of kindness as well as good causes. However–Con: It facilitates cyberbullying.
We’ll talk more about some of these arguments in the next post, so stay tuned!